Mercury Clean-Up

Elemental mercury is a shiny, silver-gray metal that is a liquid at room temperature. It was commonly used in thermometers, barometers, sphygmomanometers, dental amalgams, batteries, fluorescent lights and electrical switches often found in the home and workplace.

Mercury was also commonly used as an additive in household latex paint prior to the early 1990s.

When a mercury-containing device is broken or liquid mercury is spilled and comes into contact with the air, it evaporates, greatly increasing the exposure risk.

Inhalation of elemental mercury vapour is the most common route of exposure to individuals.

Grayhawk Industries Ltd. provides emergent response to mercury spill site management, cleanup, transportation and disposal.